FreeBSD 4.11 binary compatibility (libm.so.2, etc)

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Tue Aug 28 18:58:12 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 17:35:55 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 03:31:25PM -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> > It provides a temporary solution in some cases, when you need to get
> > going.  It is not a long term solution.
>
> It's bogus because a) the real solution exists and is trivial (install
> the relevant compat port), and b) your advice *will* break
> applications.
>
> Shared library revision numbers are bumped for a good reason, of
> course, namely because there are changes made that break backwards
> compatibility.
>
> Kris

it would be interesting to know what kinds of apps break from doing this... i
link 6 things to get my netbackup agent working, and so far everything works
like clockwork.

i remember back in tredhat fedora, i learned this behavior because i want to
remember, that tons of libs were always linked by default.  once i moved to
freebsd, i really didnt think anything of it, because i was always told that
these types of things were backwards compatible, and they were symlinked
specifically because of this (ie, it was intended by the distro provider,
becuase some app they included was asking for an older revision of a lib).
ive not looked at a linux in about 2 years, but i want to say it was so
common as to be "normal" to see linked libs.

anyway... /ramble.

cheers,

--
Jonathan Horne