firefox plugins

P.U.Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Mon Aug 27 20:36:55 PDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Charles Bacon wrote:

> I'm unable to find any reference to amd64 on Firefox FAQ and other
> info sources.  I have an EVGA mobo with an AMD64 running FreeBSD 6.2
> perfectly, with Firefox.  But every attempt at a plugin complains
> either that it isn't windows or that it's an amd64.  I really want to
> run Flash material.  Any ideas?
Adobe only distributes linux binaries, so you need
linux-compatibility.
On i386 the idea is to install
  	/usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
but that doesn't work with amd64 yet.

Some people on this list claimed to be able to run
 	/usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin9
in linux-opera or linux-firefox with linux_base-fc6, but the
latter will only be available with upcoming FreeBSD 7.0 branch.

So for FreeBSD 6.2 now only /usr/ports/swfdec-plugin or
/usr/ports/graphics/gnash remain. Both are OpenSource projects
and can display something like flash 4 files or just crash your
browser.

Good luck,

Uli.