beryl on freebsd

Michael Hauber wizlayer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 18:25:02 PDT 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 11:06:47 am Reid Linnemann proclaimed:
> Written by Dan Sikorsky on 08/16/07 09:40>>
>
> > Is this guide OK?
> > even if i dont have an nvidia chipset?
> > http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-47986.html
>
> Well, you don't need to use git to fetch the xorg code, xorg 7.2 is now
> in ports. Since you won't be using the nvidia driver, you don't need
> compat_5x enabled. I didn't need to enable any options in the Screen
> section with my i845, but I did need options "composite" and "RENDER"
> enabled in the Extensions section.

I know this thread is a little dated, but this is the link I used as a
reference while trying to get beryl working with kde on my laptop...

I'm running KDE 3.5.7 on xorg 7.2 on FreeBSD 6.2-Stable.

dmesg yields:
drm0: <ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
0x48000000-0x4fffffff,0x40300000-0x4030ffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
info: [drm] AGP at 0x60000000 256MB
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.25.0 20060524

The only difference is that I'm trying to get it to work with the KDE desktop
rather than the Gnome desktop.

I've followed the steps in the link.  When I try to load Beryl however, I get
a light-grey screen.  I can rotate the cube, but it's all grey (except for
the "gems" at the top and bottom).

I'm perplexed, but I don't think it's a problem with Beryl (because of the
rotation and the gems displaying at top and bottom of the cube)...   Is there
a trick to get beryl to work with KDE on FreeBSD?

Thanks,

Mike