Installation Disc Won't Boot

Adam J Richardson fatman at crackmonkey.us
Fri Aug 24 11:57:57 PDT 2007

lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca wrote:
>   1.  Is there something simple I'm missing?
>   2.  Should I just try downloading (it takes four hours) and burning
>   more copies again?  (I've already done it three times...)
>   3.  Is the fact that I'm burning it in Win98 a problem?
>   4.  Is there anything I can do in FreeBSD 5.4 to see if the file is
>   corrupted?

Hi Larry.

Could it be the quality of the media you're burning to? I don't know if
it's still a problem, but it used to be. These days I always make sure
to burn to Verbatim discs, as I've heard many good reports of their
manufacturing process as compared to others. It could be that you've
just got a bad batch of discs.

Here's another thought, why not try making a copy of your FreeBSD 5.4
install disc? That should indicate whether the fault appears at download
time or burn time.

HtH,
Adam J Richardson