Installation Disc Won't Boot

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Fri Aug 24 11:34:16 PDT 2007

lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I am unable to boot from 6.2-RELEASE i386-disc1.iso.  I have
>   downloaded it and burned it three times without success.
>
>   I am currently running Win98SE and FreeBSD 5.4 on a dual boot.  I had
>   decided to reformat my hard drives so I reinstalled Win98SE and would
>   like to install FreeBSD 6.2.  I downloaded the disc 1 iso image and
>   burned it to a disc in Win98.  I had to boot from my CDrom to
>   reinstall Win98 so I know that my boot priority is correct and that my
>   CDrom is working properly.  I looked at the burned cd with the
>   6.2-RELEASE i386-disc1.iso file on it in FreeBSD 5.4 and everything
>   appears to be there, including a folder called 'boot'.  But I just
>   can't seem to boot from it.
>
>   1.  Is there something simple I'm missing?

Could be that you are burning the file as a real file on a disk instead
of burning it as an image?
You need to select the option from your program that is similar to
"create cd from iso image"

>   2.  Should I just try downloading (it takes four hours) and burning
>   more copies again?  (I've already done it three times...)

No. Instead you should check the file you already downloaded

>   3.  Is the fact that I'm burning it in Win98 a problem?

Not really, no

>   4.  Is there anything I can do in FreeBSD 5.4 to see if the file is
>   corrupted?

Yes. From the site you downloaded the iso files, download the CHECKSUM
files as well.
There are two of them, CHEKSUM.md5 and CHECKSUM.SHA256
One would be enough to validate your download. For example look at the
CHECKSUM.md5 file:
For disk1, the checksum is:

MD5 (6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso) = 3d27214700687c0b5390e8b6dd3706e3

you can validate this with the md5 command from FreeBSD, or if you don't
wish to reboot from win98, here is and md5 command for windows:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/md5.zip

use something like:

md5 6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

and compare the output to the one on the file.
>   BTW - I installed FreeBSD 5.4 from discs that I purchased through
>   FreeBSD Mall.  I thought I would do it from the 6.2-RELEASE
>   i386-disc1.iso file on FreeBSD's web site this time.

I've bought stuff from them: copies of the handbook, tshirts, sticker,
beastie dolls :)
Good service.