FreeBSD and ImageMagick crashes OS?

Roger Olofsson raggen at passagen.se
Fri Aug 24 02:30:33 PDT 2007

Dear mailing list,

The other day I encountered a strange phenomena. Having run FreeBSD
since 3.x I have never had a server crash on me until now. I completely
blame the FreeBSD developers for spoiling me like that.

Now, when I get spoiled, it's hard to go back so when my webserver tried
to handle a 7Mb JPG using ImageMagick and managed to crash the server I
naturally got curious.

Turns out ImageMagick was called through php to resize the .JPG and most
likely, the server runs out of memory/disk space. /var/tmp fills up and
console spews as follows:

Aug 22 19:29:49 rutilus kernel: vnode_pager_putpages: I/O error 28
Aug 22 19:29:49 rutilus kernel: vnode_pager_putpages: residual I/O 32768
at 62620
Aug 22 19:29:49 rutilus kernel: pid 29 (syncer), uid 0 inumber 49382 on
/var: filesystem full

Server drops net and does not respond to keyboard input, not even on
console.

Now, I realize that changing settings for ImageMagick and having a
bigger /var disk and using a smaller .JPG of course would avoid the crash.

But, I still am somewhat "kerfuffled" about the fact that it brings my
favourite operating system to its knees........ I'd want FreeBSD to
intercept and log the error, the application should in my world be
contained by the operating system and never ever be allowed to crash it.
As the old saying was once - "an operating system should emulate
crashes, not crash while emulating".

I know, I know, you can't stop applications from doing whatever crazy
stuff they do and some might even crash the OS as it appears. Luckily
there's 3 versions of the OS inbetween the crashes though ;^)

Just thought I'd share this with the list.

Greetings from Sweden
/Roger