spammers harvesting emaill address from this list

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bsdly.net
Thu Aug 23 14:10:43 PDT 2007

Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> writes:

> 	If your user login is "smith", you could have all mailing
> 	list mail sent to "smitty" and keep an open mutt or other reader
> 	a click away.  Spam could be easily flagged ... .

Yes, there are several things you could filter on.

However the traplist activities are really about identifying spam
sending hosts.  If a machine we have not exchanged mail with in recent
times tries to deliver mail to something bizarre like
<3c86y7xj60op.fsf at amidala.datadok.no> (which looks like it was actually
based on a GNUS message-ID), the message is either spam or in some
very rare cases a bounce message triggered by an attempt to deliver
spam.

> 	I'm bcc'ing this to my account with evolution to check out your
> 	blog info.  I've run into problems with spamd and other suites.

I would be interested in hearing what the problems were.  It's worth noting
that spamd from OpenBSD 4.1 onwards differs in several important ways from
earlier versions.  And also, it's important not to confuse this spamd with
the program with the same name out of spamassassin.

Cheers,
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/