FreeBSD USB disks - booting and backups

Patrick Baldwin Patrick.Baldwin at studsvik.com
Thu Aug 23 09:43:16 PDT 2007

I'm thinking of backing up my FreeBSD 6.2 webmail server by installing
FreeBSD onto the USB, and then dumping the whole filesystem onto the
USB.  That way, in the event of a drive failure, I can boot off the
USB drive, and then just restore everything onto the webmail server.

Has anyone else done this?  I haven't found any mention via Google,
which has me concerned that there might be a good reason no one's
done this that I haven't thought of.    One issue I ran into
thus far has been the 500 GB Western Digital MyBook USB drive
I tried first makes my system crash when I plug it in.  I can get
another USB drive and repurpose the one I've got right now, but
before I put any more resources into this idea, I thought I'd
bounce it off some experts.

Any suggestions, links, etc. welcomed.  Particularly for large
capacity USB drives that won't crash my system.

Regards,

--
Patrick Baldwin
Systems Administrator