spammers harvesting emaill address from this list

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Aug 23 08:10:03 PDT 2007

On August 23, 2007 at 10:31AM Jonathan Shoemaker wrote:

>     fbsd2> Why should the subscribed members have to deal with spam
>     fbsd2> just for the connivance of people who are too lazy to
>     fbsd2> subscribe?
>
>     fbsd2> This list admin needs to get their priorities straight.
>     fbsd2> Subscribed members protection comes before the lazy public.
>
> A lot of people who migrate to freebsd have never been confronted with
> anything more complex than windows, so it makes sense to make getting
> help as easy as possible.  The experience of converting to a *nix
> system is a daunting one for a first-timer; it takes a whole new shift in
> thinking, and people adapt at different rates.  Bear in mind, though,
> that these people may one day end up being the ones to contribute new
> improvements, ports, assistance, and so forth.  Doesn't it make sense
> for a free, community supported operating system to provide that
> support in the easiest manner possible?

I employed Windows for years before ever venturing to try FBSD. Doing
that time I subscribed to numerous mailing list. I fail to see any
correlation between migrating from a Windows based OS to a FBSD one has
to do with subscribing to a list. Anyone, with the possible exception
of an AOL'er and an occasional Googler could accomplish that feat.
Compromising the fundamental security and privacy of the end user is
more important than servicing those who lack the ability and or
ambition to subscribe to a mail forum like this.

--
Gerard