Reproducible panic of 6.2 on double mount ntfs

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Thu Aug 23 04:04:46 PDT 2007

Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> With '/dev/ad0s1 /mnt/ad0s1 ntfs ro,noauto 0 0' in fstab, if I issue
> 'mount /mnt/ad0s1' twice, I always get a panic with the message:
>
> panic: lockmgr: locking against myself

I should have done some more intelligent research before...

kern/89966 (6.0-STABLE) is exactly what I see. (The difference between
my mount+fstab and manual mount_ntfs is that the first includes ro.)

kern/104393 (7.0-CURRENT) does not even have the ro, but is otherwise
the same.

kern/71391 (5.2.1-RELEASE) might be related...

I wonder why a panic that seems to be so easy to reproduce is not
analyzed and fixed -- probably ntfs is simply not very important to
anyone and the panic can be avoided quite easily.

Since I should be able to avoid issuing repeated execution of mount with
some concentration (I ran into this four times now), it should not be
too much of an issue for me, either...

Regards,
Jan Henrik