ps2ascii. &c.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Aug 23 00:01:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:19:55PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 11:47:15AM +0400, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 12:35:47AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Guys,
> > >
> > > 	If this is a re-post, sorry.  I thought I mailed this to -questions.
> > > 	Anyway, where are the pdf and pd and other ghostscript converters?
> > > 	I thought these utilities were in the default distribution, but I
> > > 	can't find them. pdfps, pdftoascii, and so forth.
> > >
> > > 	thanks in advance for any help,
> > >
> > > 	gary
> > >

> > > --
> > >   Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
> > >

> > They are in print/ghostscript-{afpl,gnu,gpl}, though ghostscript-gpl is
> > preferred one.
> >

> > HTH,
>

> 	It prob'ly will.   Maybe I can select which things to build from
> 	the Makefile.  It's been awhle.
>
> 	gary
>

> > Yuri

	To everyone,

	An update to whomever is interested in these conversion programs.
	I tried ps2ascii (or whatever "apropos pdf" found tht might
	convert a pdf file to plain text.  It blew up.  So I scp'd the
	pdf file to my Ubuntu computer and ran pdftotext -layout *pdf.
	It worked vvery well.  Next, I spent hours googling around until
	I foound that pdftotext is part of "xpdf".  There are several of
	these ancillary programs from xpdf.  I'm building it now on my
	new tao.  See how it works.

	For now, I'm just making a note of these obscure details in my
	~/.Notes files.  Now, this stuff will be available inthe
	-questions archives.  Just FWIW.

	this day has gone on for about 97 hours!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix