What is a "sane" setting for maxdsize when running amd64? it seems many normal suggestions do not apply.

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Wed Aug 22 07:38:13 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 20:54:36 N. Harrington wrote:
> Hello
>  I feel stupid, but I am confused about kern.maxdsiz (or datasize via
> limits command) on FreeBSD amd64.
>

>  I have seen many posts and suggestions to raise it to 1G. However it seems
> this only applies to i386. By default, on servers I have with 4G of
> physical memory, and 2X that of swap, I am showing a reported datasize
> limit of 33554432KB. far in excess of even my physical and swap combined! I
> have seen suggestions from mysql for maxdsize to be set to 1G. Obviously no
> such problem with amd64?

on amd64 when maxdsiz not set it stops at 512 limit but soon you set it to 1G
it appearently is able to use more  this is not the case on i386 - but I
would say don't worry about it

on i386 your machine could hang at boot when setting maxdsiz higher than
installed physical memory but that never happened to me with amd64

I have some server running squid for caching perfect with 4, 8 and 16G of RAM

I set maxdsiz do 3G on machines with 4Gigs of RAM but I do not run anything
else so then I adjust cache_mem with maximum_object_size_in_memory to use the
most possible amount of memory without doing swap.

anyway you set it in boot.loader there is no need to compile something into
the kernel

--

João