What is a "sane" setting for maxdsize when running amd64? it seems many normal suggestions do not apply.

N. Harrington drumslayer2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 16:54:38 PDT 2007

Hello
 I feel stupid, but I am confused about kern.maxdsiz (or datasize via limits command) on FreeBSD
amd64.

 I have seen many posts and suggestions to raise it to 1G. However it seems this only applies to
i386. By default, on servers I have with 4G of physical memory, and 2X that of swap, I am showing
a reported datasize limit of 33554432KB. far in excess of even my physical and swap combined!
 I have seen suggestions from mysql for maxdsize to be set to 1G. Obviously no such problem with
amd64?

 Is this just a high number chosen to let things run wild? (basically unlimited) I have been
having some problems with running squid and my servers locking up. I think, from the process
exceeding my physical memory and the server getting very unhappy trying use so much swap. (since
it seems the process size is so unlimited)

 Could anyone help shed some light on this for me? If I have a server with 4G of memory, what
would be a safe /sane allowable maximum for datasize? (assuming a light networking load)

 Thanks!

  Nicole