Building UNSTRIPPED binaries in ports?

Vince Hoffman-Kazlauskas jhary at unsane.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 12:45:03 PDT 2007

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am encountering a bug with named-9.4.1-P1 that I am attempting to
> work with ISC on, that I have built from ports (dns/bind94).  However,
> I need a non-stripped version of the binary to get a backtrace.  I
> can't "roll my own" binary because it may be related to some way that
> the port is built so I need to maintain a similar build environment.
>
> Is there some make.conf or compile time flag that I can set that would
> prevent the stripping from happening?
>
> Or would I just have to manually edit the makefile someplace -- and if
> so, can anyone give a pointer as to where?  Setting the strip command
> to /bin/true or something, perhaps -- but I can't be sure if the
> strip_command is being used.
>
> I've found references in the porter's handbook that state all binaries
> should be stripped, but I think in cases like this it would be useful
> to give the user a universal option to not do so.

I had a quick dig in /usr/ports/Mk and from bsd.port.mk It looks like
what you want is
"
# WITH_DEBUG            - If set, debugging flags are added to CFLAGS
and the
#                         binaries don't get stripped by INSTALL_PROGRAM.
#                         Besides, individual ports might add their specific
#                         to produce binaries for debugging purposes.
#                         You can override the debug flags that are
passed to
#                         the compiler by setting DEBUG_FLAGS. It is set to
#                         "-g" at default
"

Vince