6.2-RELEASE amd64 system rebooting under heavy load with Areca ARC-1231ML

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Aug 21 02:11:02 PDT 2007

Hi

I have a new system I am building.

Tyan S5197 MB with Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM
Areca ARC-1231ML raid card.  5 320gb disks in a RAID6 with 1 320gb
disk hot spare plus two 750gb in a raid1 mirror.  Using the ARECA
firmware, each raidset is subdivided into separate volumes that each
appear to the OS as separate daN type disks.

I read through Google about various problems that the Areca driver
had as well as on the Areca website FAQ (on FreeBSD)

I installed 6.2-RELEASE on this system.  Under heavy IO load the
system reboots itself.  This happened both in trying to install the
OS, and if I got that far, in trying to build cvsup tool or in
building a new kernel.  The machine could sit there idle for hours
but you startup a large build and usually withing a few minutes  or
10 minutes it would reboot itself.  I tried installing the 6.2-STABLE
snapshot (latest on in the downloads which is from June) but the
whole system would lock up after a few minutes and I would get
corruption on the console screen so I decided that was not a great
plan.  I also tried the 7-CURRENT as a test but that would not stay
out of the kernel debugger.

So I went back to 6.2-STABLE.  I installed it and then copied the
areca kernel driver source  arcmsr.c/.h from the 6.2-STABLE snapshot
from June (latest snapshot I could find) and used it to rebuild the
kernel.  I was then able to build cvsup and do a cvsup  to the latest
-RELEASE code and was a significant way through a buildworld when it
happened again and rebooted itself.  So it appears the problem is not
yet solved.

Is anyone out there running a form of 6.2 on an x64 type platform
using an Areca controller?  What is the latest 6.x compatible driver
source for the Areca?  I tried to copy the 7-CURRENT areca source
back but it relies on the new CAM system and even if I added that
option to my 6.2 there were a bunch of compilation errors that made
it look like the 7.0-CURRENT IO or SCSI or whatever lower level it
uses  system has changed.

Any help in figuring out how to get this up and running without these
reboots under load would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC