FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7 box crashing

Eric Crist mnslinky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 05:24:54 PDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 7:10 AMAug 20, 2007, आशीष शुक्ल
Ashish Shukla wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7 custom compiled kernel running on
> Intel Pentium 4 630 (AMD64 architecture). FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE is the
> most stable release I've ever seen in my 3 years of BSD life.
>
> But for the first time, it crashed today, that's too severe. It
> suddenly
> freezed, and then heard a long beep, after that rebooted within 2
> seconds.
>
> Now, since then it either gets rebooted during filesystem check, or
> either during starting "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/avahi-daemon.sh" .
>
> Right now, I'm mailing from Linux, and attaching a copy of "/var/
> log/messages"
> with output of FreeBSD booted with verbose logging chosen at boot
> menu.
>
> I've tested my memory using memtest86+ executing all tests (including
> Bit fade test), and it passed all tests.
>
> Please suggest what should I do ?

My recommendation would be to run mbmon or something similar to
monitor system temperature, etc.  I've not got a lot of experience
yet with the AMD64 architecture, but the little I do seems to be
prone to over heating.  Often, when I've had similar problems to
those you describe, I can later attribute those reboots and crashes
to system temperature.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist