GEOM, Vinum difference

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Mon Aug 20 01:32:19 PDT 2007

Hi,

I see that if I want to do disk striping/ concating/ mirroring, FreeBSD
offers the GEOM utilities and the Vinum LVM (which fits into the GEOM
architecture). Why do we have two different ways of doing the same tasks
-- any advantages/ disadvantages to either approach?

I did check the archives before posting this question. Got a couple of
hits, but they seem to be old info. Hence this question.

The GEOM utilities seem to be newer, fancier, and probably the future.
Vinum seems to be how things used to happen earlier. After GEOM was
introduced, if Vinum had been discarded, I would have understood. But it
wasn't. Instead, it was rewritten for GEOM and is probably still
actively maintained. So I wonder why we have two ways of doing the same
tasks ...

What I understand from the archives is that Vinum was _probably_ rewritten
for GEOM coz the GEOM utilities were still new and not as time tested as
Vinum. Is that the case? So will Vinum continue to be around for a while
or it be discarded?

 				- Rakhesh
                                 http://rakhesh.com/