error no space left on device, in freebsd

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sun Aug 19 18:04:32 PDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 12:38:54AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >I was try to upgrade freebsd 6.1 to 6.2 and all were perfect until tis
> >error
> >were show on screen
> >/: write failed, filesystem is full
> >install: /boot/kernel/digi.co;
> >No space left on device Error code 71
> >stop inusr/src/sys/modules/digi
> >stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >
> >sombody Can help me?
> >

> rm -rf /
>
> ? :)

What are you - some non-helpful LUNIX kiddie with depleted sense of humor?

Provide some realistic help or save yourself the bandwidth.

The OP will have to figure out how much space is on the file systems
and som eidea of how much is needed and determine if there is even
enough space to do the upgrade.   Then either move things around, delete
unneeded things or get more disk or back stuff up and do a clean initial
install and put back only needed data or some usefule combination.

But, the first thing is to find out how much disk there is and
how it is being used.   For that,  df  and  du  are your friends.
Check them in the man pages.   df -k   will give you a reasonable
picture of your filesystems.   From within a filesystem or any directory
using   du -sk *  will give a picture of hos the disk space is being
used withing that directory.   After getting a picture of space use
and availability, it is possible to plan from there.

This is pretty well documented in the handbook and FAQs and previous
mailing list threads so a little searching will be good.

////jerry