isc-dhcp3-server and windows 2000 connectivity issues

Joe josepha48 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 22:26:08 PDT 2007

Hello,

   I recently installed FreeBSD 6.2 on a machine and setup dhcp and I am having connectivity problems with the most recent isc-dhcp3-server.  I cvsup'd and buildworld/installworld/ kernel and all works except dhcpd.

   Well it works and my FreeBSD clients can get IP addresses, but my windows machines cannot.  Windows 2k in paricular.

   I have an old install, with an older dhcp install and I can use that binary and everything works fine.  Both binaries say they are V3.0.5, but I cannot tell the subversions of them.

    I have no idea what is going on here.  It seems one binary works but the other does not.  I have run tcpdump and I see the broadcast message in from the client, and then I see the reply going out from the client.  How do tell if the reply went out?  I know it is not a firewall issue, otherwise neither binary should work.

   Is there some other change that made it in?  This seems to be a windows issue, in particular windows 2k, but only with this one binary.

Thanks,
Joe