problem with supfile

Jordan Gordeev jgordeev at dir.bg
Sun Aug 19 03:42:25 PDT 2007

Pollywog wrote:
> Someone please tell me why my supfile is not working.  I think the problem is
> the tag but I am unsure why:
>
> *default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_2
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>
> # If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk bandwidth, try
> # commenting out the following line.  (Normally, today's CPUs are fast enough
> # that you want to run compression.)
> *default compress
>
> # This collection retrieves the www/ tree of the FreeBSD repository
> #www
> ports-all

 From the FreeBSD Handbook, A.5 Using CVSup:
"Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some
tags are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify an
incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you probably
do not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-*
collections.
[...]
Keep in mind that only the tag=. is relevant for the Ports Collection."

Please, remember to check the documentation before posting.

The Handbook also describes how to use portsnap to update the Ports
Collection. Portsnap is very convenient and easy to use, and comes
installed with FreeBSD 6.2.