vlc won't play region encoded DVDs (still doesn't work)

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 19 00:41:27 PDT 2007

C Thala wrote:
>>> Definitely something is wrong with your VLC (probably an older version)
>>> since I can play US DVDs with VLC .
>>>
>> That's pretty much what I thought. I'm upgrading VLC now on the machine.
>>

> Well, that didn't work. I have the latest VLC in ports, and here is
> the error I get:
>
> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.10 from http://dvd.sf.net
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/acd0 mounted on /cdrom for CSS
>             authentication
> libdvdread: Could not open /dev/acd0 with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/acd0 for reading
> libdvdread: Device /dev/acd0 inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
> libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
> libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/cthala/.dvdnav/.map'
> libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
> [00000265] main playlist: nothing to play
>

> :(

Well if you read whole my message I said that if everything fail you
should try MPlayer.  I have never found a video format that
MPlayer cannot play. Did you try Ogle DVD player?

Sorry for asking silly questions. I read little bit your output. Did you
edit devfs.conf with appropriate permissions and links.
How did you mount your DVD.  Forget about HAL. Try to mount it from the
command line.
su -
mount -t udf  /dev/acd0 /mnt

Then try to play with MPlayer or Ogly. I am really curious to see what
is happening

 Sincerely,
Predrag Punosevac