OpenLDAP: weirdness with slapd.conf vs. slapd.d/

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 18 06:17:01 PDT 2007

Hello,
while fiddling around with OpenLDAP 2.3.37 as taken from the ports
collection I revealed something strange. Looking at the manpage of slapd
I was taught that if neither -F nor -f option is applied when the SLAPD
starts, default config directory /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.d/ is
searched for dn=config.ldif. So I did, I configured my own
dn=config.ldif file as it is described in chapter 5 and 6 of the
OpenLDAP Administrator's documentation. But with FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT and
the port I run into something strange not being consistent with the
documentation: the start of the slapd server was avoided by an error
telling me there wasn't any readable slapd.conf file. What is that? Test
with slaptest tells a syntactically correct slapd.d/ directory, but
slapd won;t start. Touching an empty slapd.conf let the server start.

The documents tell one that slapd.conf is a kind of deprecated, but it
seems still in use.

On the other hand, typing in the configuration taken from the
Administrator's guide of OpenLDAP as found in chapters 5,6 does not
work! Strange.

Regards,
Oliver