Opera and Opera Linux Plugins

Branko Vukelic bg.branko at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:32:28 PDT 2007

Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Branko Vukelic wrote:
>> I installed the native Opera + opera linux plugins package and then
>> linux-flashplayer7 (or something like that, can't see for I'm at work
>> now).
>> The Opera complains it can't find the plugin.
>>
>> Installing linux-opera and the said plugin works just fine.
>>
>> Not a problem, just thought I'd post it anyway, as a FYI.
>>

>> Branko
>>
> Of course the plug is is for linux browsers and would not work with
> native browsers. If you want non native plug in to work on your native
> browsers  you must install nspluginwrapper.
>
> However for purposes of youtube on goggle video I would recommend just
> snapping them with youtube-db or clive.
> You would get filename.flv which you can watch with MPlayer of VLC.
> Clive can further convert that file to something else like mpeg.
>

> There are 5 different ways to watch youtube before you rich for Flush
> 7 which hangs my computer anyway so it is gone.
>
> I would try also this
> swfdec
>
> Make sure you updated your port three since it is released 6th of Avgust.
>
> Enjoy!

Thanks. The tips you gave me is definitely waaay more than I bargained
for. :)

Thing is, I found a page in the DesktopBSD wiki that talks about making
linux version of the flash plugin work with native Opera. It's here:

http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:browserplugins

The relevant part of the guide is as follows:

"native Opera9 with Flash

Opera 9 supports now Linux Flashplugin, so you can just install from ports,
portinstall opera
portinstall opera-linuxplugins
portinstall linux-flashplugin"

The ports are all there and they do install, but it doesn't work. I
simply installed the linux-opera and it's all fine now.

Branko