Urgent help needed please: pecl-memcache problem after upgrade of php

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Aug 13 17:42:14 PDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:49:48 -0400
"Ian Lord" <mailing-lists at msdi.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I just did a portupgrade -a and now memcache doesn't work anymore in php.

best practice is to test upgrades before applying them to production  :)

> Here are the version portupgrade installed:
>
> pecl-memcache-2.1.2
>
> memcached-1.2.2
>
> php5-5.2.3_1
>

> In php/error.log I can see this error message
>
> [13-Aug-2007 10:38:20] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic
> library '/usr/local/lib/php/20060613/memcache.so' -
> /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/memcache.so: Undefined symbol
> &quot;php_session_create_id&quot; in Unknown on line 0

it could be that memcache and php got out of sync with the php modules. try rebuilding all the php modules ( portupgrade -fp php-* ) . the -p will make binary packages after installing the ports

[...]
> If not able to fix (might be a problem with the port, what is the easiest
> way to go back to previous version)

- have you kept packages of the previously installed versions? you an use them to revert back
- you can try to move the ports tree back to before those upgrades happened, and force a downgrade to those versions.

i still think the fastest way is to rebuild php*

good luck,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
  Frank Leahy