install app without ports

Andrew Greenwood andy at agreenftp.no-ip.com
Mon Aug 13 11:14:10 PDT 2007

Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just old today that SpamAssassin 3.2.3 has the fix I need to run it on
> FreeBSD-
>
> The problem is that it has not yet been updated in the ports tree, so I
> downloaded it from the apache website-
>
> But I do not know how to install it, as I have always installed the
> applications from the ports ( make install)
>
> How do I go about installing it on FreeBSD 6.2 ?
>

> Jean-Paul Natola
> Network Administrator
> Information Technology
> Family Care International
> 588 Broadway Suite 503
> New York, NY 10012
> Phone:212-941-5300 xt 36
> Fax:  212-941-5563
> Mailto: Jnatola at Familycareintl.org

If you're lucky, you can follow the default installation guide given
with the app. Keep in mind though, that it may install by default to a
location other than /usr/local and won't have the fbsd-specific rc.d
script(s). Assuming that the app hasn't changed much since the ports
version, you can probably keep using the old rc script though. If you
have trouble, seek guidance from the porters handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html