Problem with dump over SSH: Operation timed out

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Mon Aug 13 00:44:26 PDT 2007

On Saturday 11 August 2007 02:28, Kenny Dail wrote:
> > Thank you for those suggestions, it's appreciated. Although I get the
> > same results with setting those values both on the server and on the
> > client. SCP starts full speed, but at 20% of the 200 MB file it starts
> > to stall. All ICMP traffic was open on both firewalls at that time.
>
> I had something similar to this happen to me once when I traded out low
> end Linksys router for an enterprise grade one. Large transfers were ok
> with the low end router, but died horribly with the "good" router. It
> was a FreeBSD4.11 server at the time, and in the end it turned out that
> the increase in bandwidth was directly related to the stall, putting qos
> on the traffic back down to the previous speeds made the stalling go
> away. I never did find out if it was a crappy NIC or crappy disk drives,
> or crappy cofiguration on the server.

I would try throttling too. I have seen too ADSL modem/routers dropping
high traffic connections. You said you have a cable modem, which does a
much simpler job than an ADSL modem/router, but I wouldn't trust it
anyway... As you said you did manage to get the dump to your computer at
home, so assuming that you have less bandwidth at home, the high traffic
situation between the two offices, could be the problem.

Give ipfw & duymmynet a try, it should be very easy to throttle your
connection.

HTH

Nikos