w3 web browser on freebsd v6.2-R

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Sun Aug 12 13:57:57 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 06:47:02PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:04:07 +1000
> jonathan michaels <jlm at caamora.com.au> wrote:
>
> [....]

> > > fair enough, i keep mine up to date. you can use
> > >
> > > locate libintl.so
> > >
> > > instead , and see if you have any version of libintl installed.
> > >
> > > If you do have a version of libintl in your system, (highly likely if you have gettext installed), then you can try mapping the calls to libintl.so.8 to libintl.so (which should be a soft link to your version of libintl, ie,so.SOMETHING ). You do this by updating /etc/libmap.conf
> >
> > i found "usr/local/lib/libintl.so" and "/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6"
>
> yes, a few -RELEASE boxen i manage have that too

suggestion .. please, how (best) to keep a freebsd host 'up-to-date',
for me, for various reasons going down the -stable road is too
much work. currently i use -release untill i need to upgrade
for some (usually) serious reason.

the situation that i am in now is the natural conclusion of
that road ..

> > how about
> >
> > "libintl.so.8	libintl.so.6"   ???
>
> sure - but if / when u upgrade libintl.so.6 to, say, .7. or .8, it will break. .so (no version @ end) will still be there.
>

> > > should do the trick.
> > >
> > > TFM is @ man libmap.conf :)
> >
> > would this live in
> >
> > /etc/libmap.conf ?? or in
> > /usr/local/etc/libmap.conf ?? or somewhereelse ??
> >

> good point, never tried with /usr/local/etc - it is /etc/libmap.conf , from the man page:
> FILES
>      /etc/libmap.conf    The libmap configuration file.
>      /etc/libmap32.conf  The libmap configuration file for 32-bit binaries on
>                          64-bit system.

ok, i will try that latter on today .. thanks norberto, hope
you had a good weekend ?

much appreciations/kind regards

jonathan