Best practice for SMTP relay with user authentication

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Aug 12 05:54:21 PDT 2007

Hi:

I have my postfix authenticate users before accepting mail for non-local
delivery. Till now, users can connect to port 25 and 465 (smtps) use
STARTTLS and authenticate.

But, I stumbled upon submission port 587 which is not reserved - it
appeas - for a protocol but for a use?

I'd like to align my configuration with best practice. Should I just
move postfix to bind to port 587 or did I misunderstand that submission
is indeed a different protocol? Is there any best practice for which
protocol should be used for submission?

Thanks, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org