Convince me, please!

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Aug 9 15:53:33 PDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Reid Linnemann wrote:
> Written by David Kelly on 08/09/07 12:30>>
>>> a very little unix (few tools and kernel) + lots of bulky
>>> overhead ...
>>
>> Try it, you will find otherwise. The user interface works without
>> hassle. MacOS X comes with more standard utilities than does FreeBSD,
>> for instance procmail, fetchmail, sqlite3, Apache, php 4.4.7, ...
>
> Not that I'm against your argument that OS X is a good system, but
> since when are 3rd party services standard utilities?

When they ship with the system and when you can get security patches
for them from the vendor.

Things like BIND and sendmail are 3rd party services which ship
standard with FreeBSD, although you do have knobs to not build them
if you don't want them.  Likewise, you don't have to install the OS X
Server utilities or run a mailserver/webserver/etc if you don't want to.

--
-Chuck