Sending test messages (was Re: don't read it)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Aug 9 07:59:46 PDT 2007

> Duane Hill <d.hill at yournetplus.com> wrote:
> >
> > freebsd-test at freebsd.org works fine for sending test messages. Subscribe
> > to it and use it for test message sending.
> >

> As you guest it was just for test message sending to THIS ONE.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.

The reason for the complaint (and the reason the freebsd-test list exists)
is that you just "inconvenienced" thousands of people who subscribe to
this list.

As usual, this resulted in a discussion that is further inconveniencing
people ...

The point behind that freebsd-test list is that it is configured in exactly
the same manner as other FreeBSD mailing lists.  If you can subscribe and
post to freebsd-test, then you will be able to use the exact same procedure
to subscribe and post to any other FreeBSD mailing list.  So there is no
reason to ever send test messages to anything other than freebsd-test.

I'm not saying this to berate you, Jean-Pierre.  My purpose is to clarify
this for anyone who may be reading, or may in the future read the mail
archives for this list.  Understanding the system allows people to use it
effectively.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com