Convince me, please!

Pollywog lists-fbsd at shadypond.com
Wed Aug 8 22:02:06 PDT 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 04:22:26 Latitude wrote:
> I'm interested in changing over to FreeBSD from Windows, but I'll have
> to say, you guys don't really present a forceful argument to Windows
> users of how easy the switch may be.  I get knee-deep in FreeBSD jargon
> the second I get to your webpage. I need to see an overwhelming argument
> that FreeBSD is a perfectly acceptable alternative for home desktop
> users who have previously known only Windows.
>
> For instance, if I download and install FreeBSD, will I instantly have a
> desktop windowing environment that I can navigate in while I figure out
> what's going on?  Will I have a browser and way to setup an internet
> connection right off the bat?  How will I migrate files from other
> operating systems?
>
> I understand you guys have been around for a while, but you don't seem
> to understand the monumental "fear" involved in switching operating
> systems.  You need to address those concerns head on from the start.  I
> need to see several screenshots of apps that I can use as alternatives
> to what I have.
>
> Help me (and yourselves) out.

I hope I do not get flamed for saying this...

I am a new arrival to *BSD though I have used Linux for ten years.  I think
that if you want a working system right off the bat, PC-BSD or DesktopBSD
would be a better introduction for you.

I liked PC-BSD and found it as easy to install as Xandros or Linspire or
Freespire Linuxes.  I mention those because those Linuxes are easy to
install.