apsfilter setup problem

David Banning david+dated+1186764244.bc8078 at skytracker.ca
Sun Aug 5 10:17:20 PDT 2007

I am setting up a new installation of apsfilter to a network printer.
There a re the install options I have set during apsfilter setup.

        (D)     Available Device Drivers in your gs binary
        (R)     Read Ghostscript driver documentation        (devices.txt)

        (1)     Printer Driver Selection                [ljet4]
        (2)     Interface Setup                         [samba]
        (3)     Paper Format                            [letter]
        (4)     Printing Quality                        [high]
        (5)     Color Mode                              [gray]
        (6)     Print Resolution in "dots per inch"     [600x600]
        (7)     Default Printing Method                 [auto]

I go to print a test page, and it's successful;

Printing Test page using:
gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dPARANOIDSAFER                 -dSAFER -r600x600 -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sPAPERSIZE=letter               -sOutputFile='/tmp/apsfilter88754/test_page.aps' setup/test.ps

Ok to print testpage? [y/n] y

I creates and entry in /etc/printcap;

lp|ljet4;r=600x600;q=high;c=gray;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/null:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

But it will not print with the command

ls | lp

or

ls | lpr

or

lp -dlp

I installed samba without CUPS printing support.

# lpc stat all
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries in spool area
        printer idle

Any ideas how I can bridge from a working test to a non-working
print setup?