Xorg 7.2 console switching problem

Tim Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Sat Aug 4 08:19:24 PDT 2007

I tried doing some searching on this (mailing list and Google) but
although I saw the problem mentioned, I didn't see much discussion or
any resolutions.  If I missed something, please pardon the noise.

After I upgraded both a Gateway laptop and a Dell Optiplex to Xorg 7.2
(both running 6.2-STABLE built July 26th), I lost the ability to
alt-SHIFT-F1 -F8 and switch to a console.  Console switching worked fine
with Xorg 6.9.

I found that I was missing the /usr/local/share/X11/compiled directory
and the /usr/local/share/X11/compiled/server-0.xkm file. I made the
directory and touch'd the filename, restarted X and I got the
console-switching function back.

I thought I followed the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING to the
letter.  Has anyone else seen this happen or does anyone have any idea
of what I might have done wrong in the upgrade?

Thanks

Tim Kellers