stty: unknown mode: doofus

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sat Aug 4 07:07:41 PDT 2007

During an installation, ports/lang/python24,  I did a

   sudo make install

And was prompted for my password.  I entered it (probably miskeyed it
as I was leaning over the keyboard from a strange position and got a
response back of

  stty: unknown mode: doofus

and was prompted again for my password, which I entered more
carefully the second time and everything proceeded normally.

It's certainly true that I felt like a doofus for mistyping the
password, but I was surprised to have the confirmed by some peculiar
stty message.

Enlightenment, beyond calling me a doofus, on this would be appreciated

Jeffrey (doofus) Goldberg