Nano issue

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Aug 2 20:02:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:11:04 -0500
Reid Linnemann <lreid at cs.okstate.edu> wrote:

> Written by RW on 08/02/07 11:27>>
> > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:15:35 -0400
> > r17fbsd at xxiii.com wrote:

> >> I have nano 2.0.6 installed from packages (not ports) and it works
> >> fine on 6.2.
> >>
> >> I also have that library with the same date as my last buildworld:
> >>
> >> $ ls -l /lib/*curs*
> >> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  268108 Jan 14  2007 /lib/libncurses.so.6
> >>
> > but do you have libncursesw.so.6 - note the 'w'
> >
> > The most likely scenario is that he's trying to use a 6-stable
> > package on 6.2. This something that people tend to get away with,
> > but is not actually supported.
> >
> > Either build the port or install the correct package.
> >
> I'm tracking 6-STABLE, and I only have /lib/libncurses.so.6.
> libcursesw.so.6 is listed as part of the compat6x port, perhaps
> Roberth has installed a 7-CURRENT package built with compat6x?

I'm guessing your 6-STABLE wasn't synced all that recently. There's a
test in the nano makefile that make it use the wide (multi-byte
character) version of curses (ie libncursesw) if the 6-stable or
7-current version is sufficiently recent. The fact that an up-to-date
compat6x has libncursesw.so.6 tends to confirm this.