What hardware can cause crashes?

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Aug 2 04:43:37 UTC 2007

My time honored method is to start swapping parts - I'm getting my but
kicked by a couple of brand-new disks right now.  Swapped out
controllers and cables, the system still is useless, but I'm now sure
it's the disks.  Better yet, I know it's the brand-new disks, not the
old ones.  Fortunately, it's not the disk I have BSD on, just a data
drive, otherwise it would be hard to swap out and isolate, but with
bsd, you can swap pretty much every component but the root disk for a
new one and it will still boot.  It can get expensive fast, but what
can you do?

Steve

On 8/1/07, ytriffy <ytriffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, list.
> I recently send some debug data to hackers about crashes on my system.
> But it seems that no one knows how to help me.
> So I rely on you to help me determine which hardware can cause  frequent
> crashes(page faults mostly).
> My system specs:  Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MB: ECS (nforce4) A939
> ,  geforce 6600gt 128mb,
> two memory modules  kingstone and kingmax both 512mb, two hdd drives
> Samsung and WD both 250GB, Realtek chipset NIC,
> Cirrus logic cs4281 audio card.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> ytriffy.

Steve Franks, KE7BTE