Installing from USB Flash Drive

Craig Boston cb at severious.net
Wed Aug 1 23:43:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:34:15PM -0600, Ross Penner wrote:
> I'm using a via chipset and yes, the bios is set to boot from
> USB-FDD. I used the 6.2 boot only image.

I don't think that that option, which is for USB floppy drives, is what
you want.  USB flash memory uses a different protocol and looks like a
hard drive.

What you want is a "USB-HDD" or "USB Mass Storage" option in the boot
order.  With some BIOSes, USB storage devices don't show up in the
normal boot order screen, but rather in a list of hard drives --
sometimes called "hard disk priority" or something similar.

If it still doesn't work, you may want to check your motherboard manual
and make sure that it's really capable of booting from USB flash memory.
Not all BIOSes are.

HTH,
Craig