Is distribfold for folding@home?

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Wed Aug 1 18:09:12 UTC 2007

Written by Chad Perrin on 08/01/07 11:08>>
> I see that there's both a distribfold and a linux-foldingathome in the
> ports.  The contents of pkg-descr say that distribfold is for
> distributedfolding.org, but that doesn't seem accurate any longer, as
> that domain appears to currently belong to a domain squatter.  Is
> distribfold a FreeBSD-native folding at home client, or something else
> entirely?
>
> More details would be appreciated.

It's something else entirely. If you notice, the latest release that is
fetched by the port is 0.1.20040613 .. several years old, and the
project is now defunct anyway. Folding at home has its origins at Stanford
University at around 2001 and is maintained by a group called the "Pande
Group". Distributedfolding, however, was started by professor
(Christopher Hogue) at the University of Toronto in the same time
period. He's not listed as a current or previous member of the Pande
Group. You can see his announcement to the beowulf-announce list in
their archives:
http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf-announce/2002-January/000027.html