upgrade

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Apr 30 03:15:34 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 10:54:52PM -0400, kalin mintchev wrote:

> hello...
>
> how painful is to upgrade srcs from 6 to 6.2? all backup and stuff?

Not very painful, though I would definitely recommend a backup.
Even though the upgrade process is quite reliable, it is easy to
make a mistake or change your mind about something in the middle
and so you might want your old files.

If your old files are pretty well separated from the system and
third party installs -- one of the primary reasons for keeping
all home directories, system web pages and databases, etc in
separate file systems -- then it might be just as easy to do
those backups and then do a scratch install of 6.2, csup everything
to the very latest and add the ports, get everything like you want it
and then reload those  data items - or you might not even have to
reload them if everything points to the same places.

But, the upgrade will work well too.   I just am inclined to do
scratch installs when they will be easy.

////jerry