pop up message

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Apr 30 00:50:29 UTC 2007

ChueKeung Mock <tonymock at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, I had problem of pop up message during using the
> terminal of freebsd.  I installed Freebsd 6.1 on AMD
> cup computer.  there is pop up message during using
> the terminal.  the messages like
>
> "Apr 28 20:05:01 dhcppc1 login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON
> ttyv0"
>
> "Apr 28 21:52:53 dhcppc1 last message repeated 5
> times"
>
> I feel these message annoying because it disturbs me
> when I edit a doc using editor.  please let me know
> how to turn these message off.  thank you

I believe those are controlled by syslog.  Look in /etc/syslog.conf
and notice the line:
*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit                /dev/console
Changing that will control what gets logged to the console.  See
the syslog.conf man page for more information.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com