freebsd installation server (nfs/ftp/http) local network

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 30 00:39:02 UTC 2007

anujgunj anuj singh wrote:
> Hiee,
> I have ISO images on network pc, I want to perform a network
> installation using nfs OR ftp OR http.
> Plus what is the best way of installation (package selection) to not to
> switch cd's between 2 cd's.
> regards
> anugunj anuj
>
> On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 23:37 +0400, Reshmakov Roman wrote:
>>> Hiee,
>>> I need to create a nfs/ftp/http installation server threw which I can
>>> install FreeBSD on other local machines. I have ISO images of
>>> FreeBSD6.2.
>>> How to create any or all nfs/ftp/http installation server. I went threw
>>> man pages it shows me CDROM sharing network installation. I want to
>>> install with ISO images on hard-disk.
>>> Thanks and regards
>>> anugunj anuj
>> Use dump/restore and Fix-it from installation CD-ROM. I use this
>> method and install new server over 20-30 min.

All will equally serve the purpose of helping you install the files on
your target machine. NFS is the least computing intensive option though
and doesn't require additional components to be installed in order to
use an NFS server. I would suggest not using this though if concerned
about security issues, i.e. your machine is running on a
unsecured/public network.

-Garrett