misc question #2:: howto stream .RAM/realplay via "kmplayer"??

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Apr 29 01:52:52 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:32:37AM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Saturday 28 April 2007 21:57:21 Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	I'm still building my backup DNS server on my remaining Kayak
> > 	playing with various window managers (aka "desktops"). Stuck.
> > 	To any browser/media/audio wizards out there in freebsd-land:
> >
> > 	A few weeks ago (after failing with both mozilla and firefox)
> > 	I tried the KDE broswer to stream video.  And after several
> > 	tries, got kmplayer working with Konqueror.  It streams windows
> > 	video and better yet, streams windows audio (using the Mplayer
> > 	backend).  But there are some NPR/PBS webcasts only in
> > 	real-audio.  After a few hours of poking around the web and
> > 	trying to reconfigure Konqueror I-give-up.
> >
> > 	I've reached the "File Association" -> "Audio" and to
> > 	"x-pn-realplay" {or something like that}, then I'm wedged.
> > 	Is there an honest textfile I can use to associate [.ra, .rm,
> > 	.ram] with /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay????
> >
> > 	thanks for any help!
> >

> > 	gary
>
> First, you need to confirm that you can play Real in kmplayer. You must have
> the win32 codecs. Fast forward and such in a Real stream will be a bitch. But
> it plays. Then you want to go through the mime types in konqueror's config
> and set kmplayer to the first app to play such types with. And for embedding
> (the other tab) set the kmplayer_part or whatsitcalled as the first or only.

	Yeah, I finally finally clicked on the Other tab.  But then what?
	Where are the mimetypes and config for konqueror??

> Mime types would include/have: vn-realmedia, rm, ra, ram, rv, smil,
> vn-realaudio vn-realvideo, x-pn-realaudio, and several other older ones. If
> you don't find them all at first you'll find them when encountering a oddly
> mime-ified stream that wont play.

	I do have a ~/.mimetypes file on this server.  Maybe I'll
	just scp it over and see.

> There's another way to have Real with konqueror, and that is with the plugin
> that comes with the realplayer port. It may have poor layout in the webpage
> but at least it does support moving back and forth in the stream. To make
> this work you use the linuxpluginwrapper port and an appropriate libmap.conf.

	Well getting  the plugin is a no-brainer; same with the
	linuxwrapper/plugin port; but the libmap.cnf is another matter!
	Do you have one to send?   Or anyone else on-list?

> Both work reasonably well, or equally bad depending on the tilting of the
> earth and the humidity on the moon :) I usually prefer kmplayer because it
> can be used as a general a/v plugin replacement in konqueror and if something
> with Real doesn't work I can always try to "Open with.." realplayer instead.

	:-)

	I do the open-with and it starts to work/tries to, then hangs.
	I'd just like to be able to watch the BBC/PBS stuff and listen to
	Windose or Real streams without too much hassle!

> HTH,

	So far, so good, thankee!

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix