Greylisting -- Was: Anti Spam

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Apr 29 00:08:33 UTC 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Sure they're adapting. They're also adapting to Spamassassin.  The
fact that it doesn't take a lot of programming effort isn't the
reason, though, since it doesn't take a lot of effort to NOT TOP POST
yet people continue to do so.

> When I first setup greylisting the results were literally spectacular.
> Nowadays they are great, but not much beyond that.  All of the
> things your
> saying about greylisting decreasing the load and all that are true,
> and
> just because it's not as effective as it once was doesen't mean you
> should
> not use it.  But, I am not blind to what my eyes are telling me.  In
> aonther 5 years, greylisting will be like all other spamfilter
> techniques, effective only against a minority of spam

And yet there are still people, despite the problem spammers are
creating, who think that email is a vital and reliable service upon
which to hinge the success or failure of their business relations.