Thunderbird 2.0 dumps core on second file open op (workaround)

Howard Goldstein hg at queue.to
Sat Apr 28 00:35:59 UTC 2007

Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> Michel Le Cocq wrote:
>> I think it's a global thunderbird 2 bug, because i have exactly the
>> same trouble ona mac os 10.4 with a binary update.
>
> I do not think it is exactly the same -- see below.
>
>> Howard Goldstein a écrit :

>>> Looks like the same problem at ports/105589, perhaps it needs to be
>>> reopened, seems to be the same problem.  Haven't tried the
>>> workaround. Not sure how to do that on someone else's gnats.  (cc to
>>> the gnats person who closed it)
>
> After reading the discussion in the PR, I renamed libgnome-2.so.0 and
> tried again: no crashes with Firefox 2.0.3 or Thunderbird 2.0.0. I do
> run KDE -- I probably should compile Firefox and Thunderbird without the
> gnome dependencies to solve it for me.

I wish I'd googled for KDE along with this as the problem was apparently
fixed once for KDE, although for some reason came back again now for
some of us.  Here's a link to the very same bug along with a fix that
was targeted only for KDE

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2006-December/016299.html

Based on your find Jan it's fairly simple to workaround this in the
2.0.0.0 Makefile by disabling gnomeui and gnomevfs linkages.  Here's my
diff which also includes tiny cruft disabling ldap during the build
since I can't build an LDAPable thunderbird2 on my system.

(before the diff, following up, reverting CFLAGS to -O -pipe and the
default CPUTYPE didn't help, neither did installing gnome2)