Wikipedia's perfection (was Re: Discussion of the relative advantages/disadvantages of PAE (was Re: Memory >3.5GB not used?))

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Apr 27 13:45:23 UTC 2007

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 03:59:43PM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen
> wrote:
>>
>> Lee Capps wrote:
>>> That's interesting, though, to pick a nit, it may just show that
>>> students were in a hurry, rather than that they necessarily trust
>>> the
>>> info or that they don't know _how_ to verify the info.
>>
>> And also: Where is this professor's ethics? Does he also misinform
>> the
>> students in class, only to later accuse them of not verifying the
>> facts?
>>  And did he even think about the fact that others may have read his
>> misinformation? Why does this professor think that his agenda is more
>> important than Wikipedia's? Did he later correct the articles?

How is it unethical?  He altered information and tested his students
to see if they'd verify it.  Although unless it was information
relating to their major I don't see why he should berate them for not
checking.  I'm not likely to care enough to double- or triple- check
information on many many topics out there if it's something
irrelevant to my line of work or my interests/hobbies.

Now, if he LEFT the information vandalized, that would be unethical,
since others out there may rely on the information and he knowingly
left it with misleading data, since the whole idea behind the Wiki is
that people with knowledge will share their knowledge and not mislead
people.