Tagging email subject line with something like [fbsd-questions]

N.J. Mann njm at njm.f2s.com
Thu Apr 26 21:03:48 UTC 2007

On Thursday, 26 April, 2007 at 14:43:35 -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:03:19PM +0100, N.J. Mann wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 25 April, 2007 at 15:44:20 -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > >
> > [...]
> > > I fully expect that there isn't really an answer aside from using mutt's
> > > list subscription functionality, which unfortunately overwrites the name
> > > or email of the original sender in the diplay.
> >
> > It doesn't for me.  The only time I see the list name in place of the
> > message sender's email address is for my own posts, where it displays
> > the To: address instead of the From: address, which is what I prefer.
> >
> > Perhaps you have something wrong with your setting of index_format?
>
> I think you must misunderstand something in what I said.  I'm talking
> about ways to get visual cues for the list origins of emails.  The fact
> that the "subscribe" setting in .muttrc allows the display to show the
> list's address (the "To:" address) instead of the sender's address (the
> "From:" address) is a means of achieving that.  That's not the best way,
> in my opinion, to make the list association of an email clear, but it's
> the way the "subscribe" setting does it.

Okay, I think I understand. :-)

I think the misunderstanding was because I am using mutt very
differently from you.  I have each list I am subscribed to filtered into
its own mail box by procmail.  I have listed all of these mailing lists
in mutt's subscribed setting.  I also have status_on_top set and
pager_index_lines set to 10.  The up shot of all this is that I know
which mailing list I am reading because it is listed in the status line.

Separate mail boxes for each mailing list just makes more sense to me.
:-)

Cheers,
       Nick.
--
Please do not CC me on replies, I read the list and don't need the dupes.