FreeBSD 6.2 Boot Issue

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Apr 26 20:25:53 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 06:31:05PM -0000, jhall at vandaliamo.net wrote:

> >> when

> >>Derek,
> >>
> >>In the server I currently have three 376595-001 drives (146 GB serial
> >>SCSI) and three 432146-001 drives (300 GB serial SCSI).  These drives are
> >>configured as a single drive in a RAID 5 configuration.
> >>
> >>I did not specify any geometry during the installation.
> >>
> >>I have the hard drive configured as a single partition with the
> >>appropriate lables (/, /var, /usr, /tmp and a swap area).
> >>
> >>Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Sounds like your system is not booting, but you're not getting any error
> > message.  Check the boot order in your BIOS, and turn on diagnostic boot
> > messages if they are not turned on.
> >
> > Does they system boot from a CD ok?
> >
> >          -Derek
>
> Yes, the system boots from CD just fine.  And, it is able to run newfs
> during the install without any problems.
>
> The total size of the drive is 683.5 GB.
>
> The boot order in the BIOS is CD and then E200i controller.

One question you didn't quite answer.   Someone asked 'how did you
partition the device.   I think the intent was to ask what process
did you use - for example sysinstall or manual fdisk/bsdabel/newfs?

Did you first create a single slice on the drive and then divide
that slice in to partitions?

In either case, you must tell either sysinstall or fdisk & bsdlabel
to make the drive and slice bootable, to write either a generic
boot record or the FreeBSD MBR in fdisk or the fdisk portion of
sysinstall and then select make the slice bootable in bsdlabel or
the bsdlabel part of sysinstall.   If you don't, it won't find a
bootable device there.

If you have done those things, then, back to the drawing board.

////jerry