DHCP/NIC IP address contention issues

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Thu Apr 26 20:02:29 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007, L Goodwin said:
> [...]
> >
> > Wednesday 25

> > direction towards

> > consists of a router

> > Pro and the other

> > Internet via a cable

> > is set up to be

> > non-unique IP

> > everybody was getting

> > assigned to the

> > selected "Configure

> > sysinstall menu, selected

> > Ethernet card" from

> > to try to

> > Configuration

> > did not alter):

> > hostname of the

> > creative, huh?). I

> > "SERVER", eh?

> > FreeBSD server:
> >
> > 00:40:f4:47:fb:8e is using

> > 14:07:05 dhcpp0

> > address

> > found that the

> > the Windows XP box

> > FreeBSD box being

> > > 1. Check that your router's dhcp server is set up
> >
> > properly.
> >
> > > 2. Check that the windows box is not set up with a
> >
> > static ip. The
> >
> > > box could be hard coded to an ip address and your
> >
> > dhcp server
> >
> > > thinks the lease is free.
> > >
> > > Other than that you need to supply more info.
> > >
> > > Beech
> > >
> > > On Wednesday 25 April 2007, L Goodwin said:
> > > I'll double-check the things you listed. If you
> >
> > can tell me what
> >
> > > additional info I need to supply and where to get
> >
> > it, I'll be happy
> >
> > > to oblige. Thanks...
> >
> > On the XP box what does the output of 'ipconfig
> > /all' tell you about the DHCP lease?
>
> Lease Obtained: Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:36:42 AM
> Lease Expires: Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:36:42 AM
> (also says "Dhcp Enabled: Yes" and "Autoconfiguration
> enabled: Yes")
> Given these settings, I don't think I need to run
> ipconfig /renew on this system...
>
> Note: I wasn't able to get on the Vista box to get
> current ipconfig /all output. An older printout shows
> "DHCP Enabled: No", but it was enabled last time I
> checked. I'll check again.
>
> > On the FreeBSD box what is in /etc/rc.conf?
>
> I had a feeling I'd find something like this, but did
> not know where to look):
> hostname="SERVER" (this is the hostname I want to use)
> ipv6_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
> samba_enable="YES"
>
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas --
> # Wed Apr 25 13:38:08 2007
> ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
> ipv6_enable="YES"
> hostname="dhcppc0.<ISP's domain name here>"
> Note that there are two each of the ipv6_enable and
> hostname entries.
> I assume I should remove one of each. I want to use
> hostname "SERVER". If I delete this one, will it
> work?:
>   hostname="dhcppc0.<ISP's domain name here>"

Delete any duplicates that you don't want. You should only have one
entry for hostname=, same for ifconfig_fxp0=.

> > On your router what is the DHCP range set to? and
> > how long do the leases last before they expire?
> >

> > And from the other post it's not possible to
> > "accidentally" make the FreeBSD box a DHCP server.
> > You would have to install the isc-dhcpd
> > port, then configure and start it.
>
> In any case, I verified that it's not installed.
>
> > If all of the above looks ok, go to /var/db and
> > delete anything that says "dhclient.leases" then
> > restart your machine and see if you get a new IP.
>
> Found dbclient.leases.fxp0 containing 2 "lease {...}"
> entries and moved it to $HOME (will delete once it's
> all working).

You don't need to save that. A new one has already been generated.
Backing up is always a good idea.

> I was surprised to find that the entries were for the
> Vista system (not the XP box). I'll verify that DHCP
> is enabled on the Vista box.
>
> One more question: When using DHCP, do I need to do
> anything to enable all hosts on the LAN to know each
> other by hostname (i.e., do I need to add entries to
> /etc/hosts file?)? Once I reboot the FreeBSD box and
> ensure that DHCP is enabled on all hosts, should I be
> able to ping the Windoze systems by hostname (does not
> currently work)?

Adding your machines to /etc/hosts is a good idea, but bear in mind
since you are using DHCP the IP addresses may change from time to
time and you will need to correct the file.

Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html