Single Instance Service

GARRISON, TRAVIS J. garrisot at otc.edu
Thu Apr 26 16:16:02 UTC 2007

[GARRISON, TRAVIS J.]

I know with Windows Storage Server, if a user modifies the file, it will
then create the user their own copy of the file. This happens
automatically. Exchange Server is another example of this type of
storage. When someone sends an attachment to several people, the server
saved one copy of the file. I am currently managing 7TB worth of data
with roughly 1 to 2TB of duplicate files. This gets fairly expensive
with a fiber channel san backend. I know it can be done in the windows
world automatically, just wondered if it could be done automatically in
the Unix world also.