Memory >3.5GB not used?

Solon Luigi Lutz solon at pyro.de
Wed Apr 25 00:21:29 UTC 2007

Hello Bill,

>> > Not all modules work with PAE.  Read the example PAE kernel file for
>> > information.
>> >
>> > PAE is an awful hack, BTW.  I've heard a number of people complain that
>> > performance sucks under PAE.
>>

BM> Does this test demonstrate usage of memory over 4G?  It's my understanding
BM> that PAE starts to suffer when it has to look at the memory over 4G (which
BM> is the problem it's intended to solve)

BM> If your entire test fits in under 4G, you're not seeing the worst of it.
BM> At least, that's my understanding of the issue.

Don't mind - since you don't want to use PAE.
There are a bunch of devices, namely network cards, who will
cease to work properly on a SMP PAE kernel.
Get a AMD64 motherboard or limit the amount of PCI cards to the
absolute minimum; depending on how many/what cards you have installed,
they allocate more or less memory out of the possible 4 GB PCI mem-space.

Best regards,

 Solon Lutz

| PyroDesign Berlin  -  Creativity for tomorrow |
| Wasgenstrasse 75/13  -  14129 Berlin, Germany |
| www.pyro.de  -  phone + 49 - 30 - 48 48 58 58 |
| info at pyro.de  -   fax + 49 - 30 - 80 94 03 52 |